Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do I keep my teenagers off my computer?

I have it password protect,


I have Vista


They have gotten around the password somehow even though I have changed it.


They get in an reactivate the Guest account , which I have turned off numerous times.


HOW DO I STOP them from using my computer when I am at work?How do I keep my teenagers off my computer?
If you have a router at home (Linksys, Netgear, etc) most of them allow you to restrict access times. So you can easily limit the computer to only have internet access during the evening or weekends or whenever you choose. Be sure to change the default password on the router.





That should baffle them for a while.How do I keep my teenagers off my computer?
remove the guest account


rename the administrators account


use vista


use parental controls within vista


set allowable loggin in times
Purchase a laptop and take it with you.
ok mate this will keep them out no problems lol but if you forget it you will stay out as well lol, ok when windows starts up click to go into the bios i hope you know what this is, ok now click password and choose whatever you want make sure you remember this password, then when you exit turn the pc on now you will have a screen asking for the password now get one of your kids to type it in, make sure they don't know it, ok now when you type it wrong three times it will just beep untill you restart and type it properly, ok now to get rid of these passwords most of the time you have to pull out the bios battery, ok for umm those logon accounts with vista and xp all you do is log on to safe mode and give your self full control it is that easy and simple we did it at school all the time cos my mates always forget there passwords so hope this helps bud.
buy them their own?


use a secure password, and make sure no key loggers are installed.


buy a key-lock case so that it can only be powered up when the computer is unlocked with the key.
Learn a thing or two about computers, and maybe you can stop them, see we teenagers arent as stupid as youd think
http://www.toplang.com/desktoplock.htm
I don't think that your children using your computer should be your first worry. It seems as though they aren't listening to your rules. Talk to them about guidelines. Tell them, if they aren't happy with the situation, they should work on getting their own computer.
Take the power cord with you :) Or monitor cable, whole keyboard, mouse, modem, modem power cord etc be creative





Or setup a BIOS password when the computer is booting up, but if they are geeks they can open up the PC and by pass it by removing the battery or other ways too. There are also backdoor passwords too so it's not the best solution but it could work. They can simply google ';bypass boot password' and have a solution in minutes.





general guide on how to set one:


http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=biospsw%26amp;s=鈥?/a>





I do agree with Elizabeth but I was a male teenager with the internet too once and it seems kids today will stop at nothing to get their fix of pron and or myspace.





If they are true geeks, they can bypass Windows and surf the net with a Linux live CD - pop in the disk, reboot, and it loads linux in RAM surf the net, check email, myspace, etc., take out the cd is there was never any trace of linux. But a BIOS password would prevent this.

No comments:

Post a Comment