Thursday, May 13, 2010

How common is cholecystitis or gallstones in teenagers?

I'm 15 and I have cholecystitis. I'm not obese and I don't have a family history of it. I was just wondering how common is this?How common is cholecystitis or gallstones in teenagers?
Rarely, a form of acute cholecystitis without gallstones (acalculous cholecystitis) occurs. Acalculous cholecystitis is more serious than other types of cholecystitis. It tends to occur after the following:





*


Major surgery


*


Critical illnesses such as serious injuries, major burns, and bodywide infections (sepsis)


*


Intravenous feedings for a long time


*


Fasting for a prolonged time


*


A deficiency in the immune system





It can occur in young children, perhaps developing from a viral or another infection.How common is cholecystitis or gallstones in teenagers?
About 3% of the population ends up with cholecystitis caused by gallstones. Females have the problem 2x to 3x more frequently than males, older people more often than young, and people of Scandinavian descent more than most other races.
This is usually something that older people get: ';40, fat, and flatulent'; was something I remember from nursing.





So I don't think it is that common. How's your diet? Stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment